Oat groat is the whole form of this cereal grain. It is minimally processed with only the outermost, inedible hull removed. From this, the steel cut, rolled oats, oat bran, and other forms are processed and created. It is gluten-free but to be sure that there is no contamination, purchase brands that state they are certified gluten-free if you are sensitive or allergic.
What benefits do you get by adding Oat Groat to your diet?
- Contains a type of fiber called beta-glucan which studies have shown has a beneficial effect on your cholesterol levels, your immune system, and blood sugar
- Antioxidants that help protect LDL cholesterol from free radical damage, reducing cardiovascular disease risk
- Good source of magnesium, a mineral that is needed for over 300 enzymes in your body
How to add it into your diet?
- Switch to oat groats rather than other forms of oats
- Mix it into pancake or waffle batter for an added boost
- Add it into bread dough
- Blend oat groats into your morning smoothie
- Combine with buckwheat, brown rice, or quinoa for a hearty morning dish
- Sprout and mix with fresh fruit for a raw breakfast dish
- Oat groats take about 45-60 minutes to cook
- Water ratio is about 3 cups water to 1 cup oat groat
- To lessen cooking time and to make the grain softer, soak for 1 hour or overnight before cooking
This food can be purchased at the Z’Harmony Wellness Store for your convenience.
Provided by: Melissa Vertosick, CHHC, AADP
Appointments now open on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons. Please make appointment at front desk by calling 724.468.3999. Visit the S’eclairer website at www.seclairer.com. For more diet and lifestyle information, visit thewholelifeapproach.com