What benefits do you get by adding Flaxseeds to your diet?
• Omega-3 fatty acids. This essential fatty acid is found in fish and certain plant foods. It is anti-inflammatory and has heart health benefits. 1 Tablespoon of ground flaxseed has about 1.8 grams of omega-3 ALA.
• Lignans. These plant compounds form the building blocks of the plant’s cellular walls and have antioxidant properties. They may also provide some protection against hormone sensitive cancers.
• Soluble and insoluble fiber.
• The combination of these three nutritional benefits can also help with your cholesterol levels.
The current suggested dose is 1-2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed per day.
How to add them into your diet?
• Ground flaxseed is better in terms of your body being able to use the benefits. Buy whole and grind them fresh yourself using an electric coffee grinder or purchase already ground. Whole flaxseeds will last longer.
• Add them to your morning oatmeal.
• Add them to your smoothies.
• Use 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 Tablespoons of water as an egg replacement in cookies, muffins, or meatloaf.
• Replace ¼ cup of flour with ground flaxseed for baked goods
This food can be purchased at the Z’Harmony Wellness Store for your convenience.
Provided by: Melissa Vertosick, CHHC, AADP
Appointments now open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please make appointment at front desk by calling 724.468.3999. Visit the S’eclairer website at www.seclairer.com. For more recipes and healthy lifestyle inspiration, visit thewholelifeapproach.com