These seeds are from a plant commonly found in Mexico and Guatemala. They are a part of the mint family of plants. There are two varieties- white and dark brown/black- and are tasteless. Avoid red chia seeds as they are not ripe.
What benefits do you get by adding Chia Seeds to your diet?
• Contains Omega-3 fatty acids, about 5 grams per 1 ounce serving, providing support for your brain health
• A 1 ounce serving has 11 grams of fiber, about 1/3 of the Daily Recommended Intake for adults
• A source of the minerals calcium, manganese and phosphorus
• The gelatinous coating the seeds form when combined with liquid can both slow down your digestion and prevent blood sugar spikes
• A serving contains 4.4 grams of protein
• Tryptophan is found in chia seeds and helps to regulate your appetite, sleep and can improve your mood
How to add them into your diet?
• Combine them with fresh fruits
• Top your next salad with them
• Top your morning oatmeal with them
• Mix them into smoothies
• Use 1 Tablespoon Chia Seed with 3 Tablespoons of Water as an egg replacement
• Mix with almond or coconut milk and cacao for a healthy chocolate pudding
This food can be purchased at the Z’Harmony Wellness Store for your convenience.
Provided by: Melissa Vertosick, CHHC, AADP
Appointments now open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please make appointment at front desk by calling 724.468.3999. Visit the S’eclairer website at www.seclairer.com. For more recipes and healthy lifestyle inspiration, visit thewholelifeapproach.com