What benefits do you get by adding Lemons to your diet?
• Vitamin C helps support your immune system and protects you from free radicals.
• Limonoids are compounds found in citrus fruits that help to protect your cells from damage.
• Antibacterial and antifungal properties
• Potassium which helps with brain and nerve function
Look for lemons with thinner skins. Find ones that are heavy for their size and have finely grained textured peels. There should be no green on the peel. Greenish colors mean they are not ripe. Lemons will last at room temperature for about a week.
How to add them into your diet?
• Start your day with lemon squeezed into a cup of warm water
• Slice lemon to bake with your favorite fish, such as tilapia
• Squeeze lemon juice on apple slices to keep them fresh longer
• Use lemon zest with fruits
• Squeeze lemon juice onto kale to help to soften it and make it easier to digest
• Use in salad dressings
Provided by: Melissa Vertosick, CHHC, AADP
Appointments now open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please make appointment at front desk by calling 724.468.3999. Visit the S’eclairer website at www.seclairer.com. For more recipes and healthy lifestyle inspiration, visit thewholelifeapproach.com